| Herbal Training |
Answered by: Susan Eagles
Question from: Lily
Posted on: July 22, 1998
I’m interested in becoming a herbalist, but I don’t know of any place which offers the correct training. Could you possibly send me the names of any colleges, universities or others places which offer certification?
There are many institutions offering herbal training, everything from mailorder correspondence courses to classroom and clinical training. Below is a listing compiled by the Ontario Herbalist Association. This listing does not constitute an endorsement by the Ontario Herbalist Association or Richters.
A Listing of Major Herbal Courses (compiled by The Ontario Herbalists Association)
* Mohawk College: P.O. Box 2034, Continuing Education - Health Sciences, Hamilton, Ontario, L8N 3T2. Offers a diploma program in Phytotherapy, in association with the British School of Phytotherapy. Tel: 905-575-2503
* Dominion Herbal College: 7527 Kingsway, Burnaby, B.C., V3N 3C1. Offers classroom study Sat. to Tues. Once a month for two and one half years at locations in Toronto and Vancouver, plus 500 hours of clinical practice. Tel. 604-521-5822, Fax:604 526-1561
* Wild Rose College: #400 - 1200 Kensington Rd. N.W., Calgary, Alberta, T2N 4P9. Both classroom and correspondence courses are available. Tel 403 270-0936 Fax 403-283-0799.
* The Botanic Institute in association with Wild Rose College, has a classroom course available in Guelph. Unit #5, 180 Southgate Drive, Guelph, ON, N1G 4P5. Contact Rick deSylva. Tel:519-824-4280
* The Toronto Institute of Chinese Medicine & Acupuncture: 212 Bathurst St., Toronto, ON, M5T 2R9. Offers classroom courses in Traditional Chinese Medicine theory, acupuncture and herbal medicine. Tel.: 416-603-0236
* Balance Life Garden: RR3, Lambeth, ON, N0L 1SO. Offers an 8 month apprenticeship course in therapeutic herbalism, and ongoing lectures and workshops. Tel. 519-645-6733.
* Artemisia Inst. General Delivery, PO Box 190, Jackson’s Point, ON, L0E 1L0. Contact Christine Devai. Offers correspondence course. Tel 905-722-1074
* School of Complementary Health Care: 1288 Highbury Ave., London, ON, N5Y 1B4. Offers a course that includes classroom & lab. components. Tel. 519-451-2088 Fax 519-451-9954
* Emerson School of Herbology: 3219 Yonge Street, Suite 321, Toronto, ON, M4N 2L3. Offers a correspondence course. Tel.416-485-4822
* Renaissance Naturopathic Centre: 85 Buttonwood Ave., Toronto, ON, M6M 2J6. Full time studies in Ayurvedic and Taoist Medicine. Tel. 416-242-9371
* The Packard School of Nutrition: 586 Alexander St., Sudbury, ON, P3R 1R3. Offers correspondence courses in nutrition, irodology, reflexology and herbology. Tel: 305-560-5275
* The School of Natural Health Care. Offers classroom and correspondence courses. Tel 519-335-6799
* The Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine: 2300 Yonge St., Box 2431, 18th Floor, Toronto, ON, M4P 1E4. Full time classroom course leading to a diploma as a Doctor of Naturopathy (ND). Covers diverse disciplines including herbal medicine. Tel:416-486-8584
* Canadian College of Natural Healing: 380 Forest St., Ottawa, ON, K2B 8E6. Offers occasional herb courses and walks, as well as a number of complementary studies such as reflexology, iridology etc. Tel:800-267-8732
* Practical Herbal Course: 2826 Dundas St. West, Toronto, ON, M6P 1Y7, Attention: Anthony J. Godfrey. Sixteen week evening herb course includes studying, growing, harvesting & making remedies
* Healing with Herbs: 794 Fort St., PO Box 38056, Victoria, B.C., V8W 1H2, Attention: Don Ollsin. Tel:604-598-8616; email: healing @islandnet.com
* Heritage Holistic Health & Environmental Inst.: 1527A Idylwyld Dr. North, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, S7L 1A9. Offers a correspondence course. Tel:306-664-3873
* American College of Integrative Medicine: 10401 Montgomery Parkway N.E., Albuquerque, New Mexico, 87111. Tel 505-275-0620. Offers a 3 year Bachelor of Science Degree Program and general & professional interest weekend courses.
* Therapeutic Herbalism: 2068 Ludwig Ave., Santa Rosa CA, 95407. Attention: David Hoffman. Offers a comprehensive correspondence course.
* Susun Weed: P.O. Box 64, Woodstock, N.Y. 12498 Offers correspondence courses and workshops Tel:914-246-8081
* Sage Mountain Herb Centre & Native Plant Preserve: P.O. Box 420, East Barrre, Vermont 05649. Attn. Rosemary Gladstar. Offers a correspondence courses, apprenticeships and workshops.
* The Australasian College of Herbal Studies:P.O. Box 57, Lake Oswego, OR 97034. Offers correspondence courses in herbology, aromatherapy, iridology, homeopathy & other areas. Tel:1-800-487-8839
* East-West Course in Herbology: P.O. Box 712, Santa Cruz, CA 95061. Attn. Michael Tierra. Offers a correspondence course in Western & Eastern herbalism. Tel:408-423-6208
* Rocky Mountain Centre For Botanical Studies: P.O. Box 19254, Boulder, CO. 80308-2254. Offers a 1 year classroom course. Tel:303-442-6861
* Herbal Healer Academy:HC32 97B, Mountainview AR 72560. Attn. Dr. McCain. Offers a correspondence course. Tel:501-269-4177
* Herbal Studies & Aromatherapy Studies: 219 Carl St., San Francisco, CA. 94117. Attn. Jeanne Rose. Offers correspondence courses in both herbology and aromatherapy. Tel.415-564-6785.
* The Institute of Chinese Herbology: 3871 Piedmont Ave., #363, Oakland, CA 94611. Offers a correspondence course.
* Institute for Traditional Medicine: 2917 SE Hawthorn, Portland, OR 97214
* Blazing Star Herbal School: P.O. Box 6, Shelburne Falls, MA 01370. Offers classes & workshops. Tel:413-625-6875
* The Ayurveda Centre: 82A Bayville Ave., N.Y. 11709. Tel:800-263-2408
* The Green Terrestrial: P.O. Box 266, Milton, N.Y 12547. Attn. P. Montgomery
* The Sweetwater Teaching Center, Attention: Wendy Crockett, PO Box 164, Jemez Springs, NM 87025; Tel or Fax:505-834-7908. Offers workshops, seminars and retreats
* The School of Phytotherapy: Bucksteep Manor, Bodle Street Green, near Hailsham, Sussex BN27 4RJ, England. 4 year full time or correspondence courses leading to a B.Sc degree. Includes a foundation in pathology, biochemistry, pharmacology, physiology, anatomy and other medical subjects. Also offers a 1 year general intere st course. Tel:01323-834800; Fax: 01323-834801.