| || || |
| Help for Anxiety while on Benzodiazepine Drug |
Answered by:: Susan Eagles
Question from: Nick
Posted on: March 13, 2005
What herbs are ‘good’ for controlling anxiety and at what dosage? Are they safe to take with .25 mil. of Klonopin?
Klonopin is a benzodiazepine drug that slows the brain process. It should not be taken with herbs that are relaxing or sedative to the brain. While taking this drug, you can help your symptoms with a good diet, daily physical exercise and relaxations exercises like meditation. These have all been proven to be beneficial for depression and anxiety.
A high nutrient diet is essential:
* Whole grains, legumes,fruit, vegetables, organic if possible; a little protein (fish is best). Foods rich in B vitamins such as whole grains and leafy green vegetables support the nervous system. Foods that are high in calcium and magnesium such as kelp, dulse, almonds, kale and parsley can help to ease nervous tension.
* Meat: small amounts only, because meat contains toxin that will add to liver burden
* Yogurt with active bacterial cultures good for digestion,; provides calming calcium
* Oats, taken as oatmeal, oatstraw tea or oat juice, reduces cravings, nourishes nervous system
* No sugar, white flour products, caffeine (coffee, tea, chocolate) as they increase agitation
* Low fat
* No alcohol, which has a negative effect on nervous system
Also, what herbs and at what dosage are good for raising testosterone levels and controlling estrogen levels.
We have answered questions about testosterone balance previously. Please see our website at www.richters.com. Choose "Q&A" from the main menu, then enter "testosterone" for the search.
Estrogen levels are best controlled by the diet and liver support. Eliminate hormone-containing foods like meat and poultry from animals that are fed hormones. Fruit and vegetables that are sprayed with pesticides also contribute to increased estrogens from foods. Look for organic foods, which do not contain residues of hormones and pesticides.
Supporting the liver can help to metabolize estrogens better. When the liver has a lot of extra work to do, like processing drugs, alcohol, coffee and food additives, hormones that should be metabolized and excreted continue to circulate in the blood stream. Herbs such as Dandelion root and Milk thistle support the liver, encouraging more efficient metabolization of drugs and hormones.
The dose of herbs depends on the product that you use. Ask at a health food store for a good brand, and follow the directions on the package.