| || || |
| Toxic Spider Bite |
Answered by: Susan Eagles
Question from: Dale
Posted on: March 19, 2005
My question is concerning a brown recluse spider bite. I was told by my doctor to take a weeks round of antibiotics. He said this may or may not help. I was also told by a friend that takes several herbs that Black Cohosh Extract was good for drawing the poison out of the wound. Could you please let me know if this extract is worth using or of any other type salve, cream or herb would cause this open sore to heal faster.
In toxic spider bites, the following protocol has been used with success:
* Echinacea and plantain tinctures, taken internally, one teaspoon (5 mls.) of each, four times daily.
* wash the wound with Echinacea tincture
* apply a poultice of fresh plantain leaf (Plantago major or Plantago lanceolata), soaked for 15 minutes in Echinacea tincture. Change the poultice twice daily
* OR use a clay poultice. Mix the dry clay powder with Echinacea and plantain tinctures. Clay draws the poisons out of the area affected. Echinacea and plantain are anti-toxin and anti-hystamine.
* Take skullcap (Scutellaria lateriflora) and St. John’s wort (Hypericum perforatum) to support the nerves, as relaxants,and pain killers.
The treatment should continue for at least 4 weeks, as the toxins may remain in the blood stream for some time.
Black cohosh contains steroid-like anti-inflammatory substances. I have not heard of its use in toxic spider bite.