| || || |
| Cures for Celiac Disaease? |
Answered by: Susan Eagles
Question from: Name not given
Posted on: July 12, 2005
Are there any natural cures for celiac?
Celiac (also spelled coeliac) disease is a gluten sensitivity. Ingestion of gluten, as in wheat, barley, rye and oats, results in incomplete digestion, leading to irritation of the gut wall. This irritation causes damage to the intestinal lining, which prevents the body from absorbing food nutrients. Symptoms can include diarrhea, abdominal pain and swelling, skin rashes, neuritis and mouth ulcers. Damage to the intestinal lining can be reversed by following a gluten-free diet.
Thomas Bartram, in Bartram’s Encyclopedia of Herbal Medicine (available at Richters) includes the following suggestions for coeliac disease:
* gluten free diet, replacing gluten with rice
* papaya (papain) to digest gluten and assist recovery
* aloe vera juice to promote bowel movements and reduce flatulence and bloating after meals
* slippery elm bark powder mixed with mashed banana to soothe and protect the intestinal tract lining
* a tea made with equal parts of raspberry leaves, agrimony and lemon balm to promote digestion
* raw carrot juice. The easily assimilated vitamin A content promotes healthy mucous membranes of the intestines
* acidophilus to promote absorption of food