Finding Medical Practitioners in Canada
Answered by: Susan Eagles
Question from: Lawrence
Posted on: March 19, 2007

I am in Texas and am planning in about 3 or 4 years to move to Canada. Right now I take Depakote and Risperdal - Depakote for "bi-polar disorder".Would I be able to find a herbal health professional in Canada who could advise me on herbal remedies for these 2 medicines?. I go to a mental health clinic every 2 or 3 months. I know they have socialized medicine and that is okay with me, just as long as I can get proper medical attention, even from a herbal doctor.

But my problem is this: I dont want the agency to try to hold me here in the U.S. I am unhappy here due to the political situation and Canada is a gay-friendly place and I happen to be gay. I know I am supposed to do what the medical professionals say. Locating a doctor there may be difficult for me.

Please see the list of associations of natural health professionals on our website . Choose Q&A from the main menu, then enter "herbalist" for the search. The item "Finding a Herbalist" lists the organizations that you can contact to find a natural practitioner. You can contact individuals listed by the associations to ask about their experience with the health conditions for which you want help. Fees for natural practitioners are generally not covered in Canada by the government medical system, but are sometimes covered by private health insurance.

The College of Physicians and Surgeons in the individual Canadian provinces can help you find a family medical doctor in the area that you live. The family doctor will refer you to specialists as required.

Back to Medicinal Herbs and Their Uses | Q & A Index

Copyright © 1997-2024 Otto Richter and Sons Limited. All rights reserved.